9.24.2009

Coconuts for the monkey god

We went up to Jakhu temple for the second time this past Tuesday, which is Hanuman’s day and the best day to make offerings and ask blessings from the monkey god. There were several wealthy families from Delhi who had made the pilgrimage, bringing with them huge bags full of coconuts. After they had made their offering to Hanuman, they began to pass out the prasad to those outside the temple, including Danny and me. We each got one to enjoy.

Some of the monkeys did, too, by gift or theft. It seemed that they understood that the fibrous exterior needed to come off, but once they got to the shell, they were unsure of how to access the flesh. Other monkeys were given coconuts that were broken open, and they used their sharp teeth to make short work of the coconut meat.





Meanwhile, Danny and I went to the far side of the temple grounds to figure out how to get the nuts open. Danny asked for help, and an Indian fellow showed us how to pull off the fibers and then smash the coconut against the cement to break it open. It was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. These coconuts were smaller than the ones we have at home, that need a hammer to smash them open. That’s how I remember my mom opening fresh coconuts when I was growing up.





I wasn’t too skilled on drinking the coconut water as it leaked out, which was fine by me, since it’s not one of my favorite things. But I went on to gorge on more than half a coconut. I can’t recall the last time I’d had fresh coconut, and I was surprised by how nutty it tasted – not at all like the sugary, flaked stuff you find on cupcakes. In fact, I ate so much coconut, I made myself sick and had to give some of the leftovers to the nearby macaques!

No comments:

Post a Comment